Friday, November 18, 2005

Wasted

My friends always asked me about my mom. All that I could say is that I don’t have one. My mother was never around because she had a drinking problem. So my grandmother took care of me and my brothers and sisters she like one of her own. She is like my mother. She always kept us clean and she always made sure that we were never hungry. I love her a lot. She’s a good woman.

My mom and dad have been divorced as long as I can remember. When I was little I can remember visiting my mother’s house for a weekend and seeing her so wasted that I took my little brother and went to my grandmother’s. I couldn’t stand seeing her like that. Her and her friends would drink all day. My little brother and sister lived with her for a few years. I felt so sorry for them because I knew what they were seeing every night. My mother never had good boy friends. They were all psychos.

My grandpa sent my mother to a very expensive rehab. When she came back everyone thought that she was better. A few weeks after she got home she got really wasted and went to my grandpa’s house and started a fight with him. My grandpa kicked her out and my mother went to my aunt’s house. My aunt convinced my mother to go to a long term rehab.

She has been there for about four years now. I saw her over the summer and now she looks great. It feels good to see her not wasted. I feel good now because now I at least know that she is trying.

But I will never forgive her for what she put the whole family through. My only real mother is my grandma Smith.

~George

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really glad to hear that your mom is getting help. While I agree that you will never forget what your mom put you through, I hope that someday you will be able to forgive her. My alcohlic father died knowing that I never forgave him, and that's a tough one that I have to live with. I am so thankful that you have a wonderful grandma! Give her a hug today and tell her thanks!

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're lucky to have a great grandma. You sound like a good guy, too. Don't let your circumstances determine who you are!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for Grandma and good for you. Grandma obviously did a wonderful job with you and helped you to help your little brother and sister. George, you will go on to be a fine man, make sure you always thank Grandma for what she did for you.

Excellent job on the writing, this was a pleasure to read and I could see you through your sentences. s.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read pain, disappointment, gratitude, thankfulness, and hope in your writing. Keep up the good work. Writing is an excellent way to deal with your feelings, some of which you may not be able to share with anyone out loud. Bless you, George, and all you've had to go through. God never wastes a hurt, if we'll let him teach us something through the bad times.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

You are really learning to express yourself with words. That is a very good thing. Your grandmother is obviously a very special person, cherish that relationship. I am glad that your mother is doing better. As you grow, I hope you can learn to forgive her human weakness and rejoice in her healing.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too know the disappointment of someone dear to me who was addicted. When your mom comes home, it is important to let her know that you appreciate her effort and try to help her. It has been determined that the probability of addiction may be genetic. This means that it is very important that you stay from addictive drugs including alcohol. I hope that you will be able to forgive your mom.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home